Ukrainian relief efforts are being launched across the nation. Unfortunately, as with most national or global tragedies, the scam artists quickly arrive and prey on the empathy of individuals with fundraising schemes. If you are making donations, it is always encouraged to conduct proper due diligence to ensure funds are going to legitimate organizations and recipients.
Consider these risk mitigation tips:
- Do not click on a link or attachment to donate online in an email received from someone unknown to you.
- Do not provide personal identifying information or debit/credit card numbers in response to an unsolicited charitable request.
- Resist high pressure tactics and those with a sense of urgency. Be aware of direct emails from “victims” and solicitors who have a heart-wrenching story.
- Research the organization requesting the donation and if you do not feel comfortable, proactively research charitable organizations you may be more familiar with if you would like to donate.
- Be wary of proactive outreaches requesting wire transfers and cryptocurrency and do not donate gift cards.
- If donating to a charity’s website, make sure the website is secure, your internet connection is secure, and your computer is equipped with the latest anti-virus protection.
- If possible, always pay by credit card, which offers additional layers of protection.
UnitedOne Credit Union has branches in Manitowoc and Sheboygan, and is open to everyone living or working in Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Kewaunee and Door counties. The credit union serves consumers and small to mid-sized businesses.
When you join UnitedOne Credit Union, you become a member-owner of a not-for-profit financial institution with a history of success and service dating back more than 80 years. Our "We're here because you're here" philosophy continues to grow our reputation of strength, stability, service, and convenience today. We embrace a successful and straightforward member-owned cooperative mission: meet the financial needs of our members by empowering them with the knowledge to make informed financial decisions. That's the UnitedOne difference.
To learn more about our services, contact us today! You can book an appointment online to see a Member Service Representative or Mortgage Specialist. You can also call us at 920-684-0361 or 920-451-8222.
« Return to "Blog"